1. Nearly all the national holidays are celebrated in accordance with the lunar calendar, so the date of celebrations varies every year. Some government offices, shops and restaurants may be closed during religious celebrations.
2. Tourists cannot take part in any protests and rallies. Various activities that promote protection of environment and other demonstrations not related to politics and social conflicts are the only exception.
3. Sale of alcoholic beverages is seriously limited during the holy month of Ramadan. Many restaurants and cafes are closed during this period, and in hotels guests may be denied to deliver liquors to their rooms.
4. While going for a walk, tourists should not forget to take a copy of their identity document. Original documents and other valuable items are better to be kept in a hotel room, or they should be deposited at the reception.
6. Photography and videography are prohibited in the territory of many religious buildings, so don’t forget to clarify these rules before the tour. Tourists are also not recommended to take pictures of local residents in the streets of Damascus. Many of the locals cannot be photographed because of religious reasons.
7. The majority of shops are open every day except Friday. As a rule, trading pavilions open at 9:30 and take visitors to 16:30. Large supermarkets and shopping centers may work until 22:00. Fans of shopping should pay attention to duty-free shops, and street markets are the best place to shop for souvenirs.
Damascus has an amazing selection of luxury hotels, each of which strives to attract customers with special services. The Four Seasons Hotel Damascus is located in a very beautiful modern … Open
9. Power supply voltage is 220V, therefore, tourists need to check all of their electrical appliances for compatibility before a trip to Damascus. Probably, they will need to get special adapters.
10. Summer is considered the hottest period. The temperature rarely drops below 35 degrees at this time of year. Off-season remains the most comfortable time for travelling.