1. While walking around the city, travelers are recommended to monitor their belongings closely. Do not take large sums of money without any particular need. Pickpockets are one of the main problems of Jakarta. There are plenty of them in public places and public transport.
2. It is better not to use tap water for drinking. Despite the fact that the local water is not dangerous for health, it can worsen the process of acclimatization. Bottled water is always available at all grocery stores.
3. Fruit purchased in the market should be cleaned thoroughly. When choosing ready to eat food in a market or supermarket, tourists should be very careful. All the food you buy must be fresh and well packed.
4. Travelers who expect to devote much time to rest in fresh air, should not forget to stock up on means of sun protection. Special creams, sunglasses and hats have become the objects of everyday use in the city. Fans of eco-tourism will also do a right thing if they keep anti insect solutions handy.
6. Giving money to a seller is possible only with your right hand because the left hand is considered “unclean”. This rule also applies to other actions such as giving or receiving food at a table. These actions also must be done with your right hand.
7. Loose and closed clothes is the best choice for a walk around the city. Try to avoid too bright or too extravagant apparel as it may cause confusion among the locals. Beach dress will be appropriate at the beach only. Wearing sports clothing is considered a sign of bad taste.
Jakarta is famous for large choice of wonderful places, entertaining and cultural facilities. Many travellers visit Jakarta only when transferring from one destination to another, but this … Open
9. Visitors should leave tips in the restaurants of the city. A reward of 5 - 10% of the total bill is enough. In some dining facilities service charges may be already included in the bill.
10. Power supply voltage in all major hotels of the city is 220V. In small hotels which use individual generators of electricity voltage can be 110V.